Saturday, February 16, 2013

New Castle County Courthouse


Photo: Joseph Kaczmarek

 I volunteered with Delaware Volunteer Legal Services on Friday, February 15, 2013.  It was my first time inside the courthouse after the shooting (to be clear; I was not at court on the day of the shooting).  A fellow attorney and I arrived at Court together.  The first thing we did was sign the "Thank You Capitol Police" sign immediately after going through security. 


There were lots of hugs and lots of emotions.  I was thankful that those I work with are okay (Family Court Judges, Commissioners, and Staff as well as Capitol Police are terrific people).  I continue to pray for the victims, especially Christine's four children who are now orphans and had to be placed in protective DFS custody.  It is extremely difficult to think about the trauma that these children face due to their criminal father and his family members.

Special prayers also for Tim Hitchings, who was a target (Dad's family wanted to kill him because he did an excellent job representing Christine Belford).  Although I haven't worked much with Tim, the few experiences I have had with him have been extremely positive.  He exemplifies professionalism, compassion, and a keen legal mind.

As for continuing my work with victims of domestic violence by volunteering with Delaware Volunteer Legal Services, there is no way I will stop.  This was an isolated incident by one crazy family.

If you haven't heard about the Delaware event, here is a link to article:
http://articles.philly.com/2013-02-15/news/37102208_1_search-warrant-david-matusiewicz-thomas-matusiewicz


No comments:

Post a Comment