Sunday, April 21, 2013

What I Wore - Mrs. Pennsylvania International 2013 - Part 1 of 2

FASHION LINK UPS
http://watchoutforthewoestmans.blogspot.com/2013/04/watch-what-im-wearing_21.html 

http://getyourprettyon.com/i-feel-pretty-bright/ 

http://thepleatedpoppy.com/2013/04/what-i-wore-wednesday-115/

I loved competing for the title of Mrs. Pennsylvania International in March of 2013.  The pageant offers an array of opportunities that include: sharing information about the Armed Forces Foundation, meeting incredible women from across Pennsylvania, and, of course, putting together a fabulous wardrobe! 

Pageant fashion is about selecting a wardrobe that fits and flatters you.  My clothing choices were things that I loved; and I had those things tailored to fit.  The clothes reflected my personality in an appropriate manner (ie - nothing showed too much skin!).

Special thanks to my girlfriend group - I could not have won the pageant without all of your help and advice.  

Orientation: 
I wore a Dorothy Perkins dress in a stretchy almost swimsuit fabric with lace trim on the sides and the black belt for the center.  I paid less than $50 for this dress.  I wore black earrings from Cache that are at least a decade old and wore LK Bennett black heels (pricey shoes, but worth every penny....especially because I bought them slightly used off of ebay!). 

I tend to buy the dresses that are longer from both ASOS and Dorothy Perkins and then get the hem tailored.  This dress also needed a tuck at the shoulders because it tended to gap in front, which showed my bra.  It is a different dress too - it requires you to step into it as there are no zippers.  However, once you pull it on your body (not an easy task), it fits like a dream.

About me: I am five feet tall and my height is in my legs.  I hate skirts that are more than an inch above my knees; you will find less than five items in my closet that are more than an inch above my knee.  This is partially because I am conservative but also because a longer skirt just looks better.  


PHOTOS: Me next to the pageant banner and below with all of the contestants and the outgoing Mrs. Pennsylvania International 2012.

Mall Appearance and Autograph Signing:

Dress: Mark + James by Badgley Mischka.  I previously wore this dress to judge a pageant.  It is a good "church" and "dressy" dress.  I found it on sale at Neiman Marcus (don't let their name scare you - they have one of the best sale racks around with some of the best prices!!!).
I styled this dress the exact same as before - with Sabika Jewelry from the Fall 2012 Collection as well as nude heels from Target.

This one photo is near and dear to my heart because I am posing with Karla (Smith) Traxler.  Mrs. Traxler was Miss Central Pennsylvania in 1987 and I was Miss Central Pennsylvania 1999 (http://misscentralpa.org/history.htm).  When Mrs. Traxler competed for the title of Miss PA, my family was her pageant sponsor!





With Teena Handline, Mrs. Philadelphia International 2013 (she is a law student at Temple and an avid soccer fan!)






Dessert Event
The last event on Friday was a dessert sponsored by the pageant for all of the contestants and family members. 

Mrs Contestants for the title of Mrs. Pennsylvania International 2013:


Me - wearing Sherri Hill cocktail dress styled with earrings from Stella and Dot as well as taupe sandals from Alisha Hill.  When looking at the photos, I think that I should consider having the skirt part of this dress tailored to be straight (notice how pretty the line is on Teena Handline's orange dress - a straight skirt gives her a very classy and fitted long line).

Cheryl Heim - Mrs. Lehigh Valley
Dr. Jill Snyder - Mrs. Hazelton
Teena Handline - Mrs. Philadelphia
Linda Zaneski - Mrs. Wilkes-Barre (Linda is famous in Altoona because she is a former Miss Pennsylvania (MAO))
Melissa Smith - Mrs. Bensalem
Missing: Sara Snyder - Mrs. Coatesville